Today we’re celebrating episode 6 of Fun With Food! We’re making Cucumber Christmas Trees while learning about the letter C sound, counting, colors, health benefits of chickpeas and I wonder what is in the big cooking pot this time?!
If you’re looking for learning videos for kids that are quality, wholesome and fun I recommend watching our new show, Fun With Food! Fun With Food is an Educational Cooking Show for Kids. In each episode, we make a recipe or go on a food adventure while learning about letters, numbers, colors, shapes, nutrition, feelings and more. Fun with Food is created and hosted by Megan Roosevelt, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and mom of 2.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
Chickpeas contain protein that helps our bodies grow big and strong! Chickpeas, also known as Garbanzo beans are packed with fiber and contains B vitamins! B vitamins are important because they help increase neurotransmitter levels, including serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine; all of these help to regulate mood. In one 1/2 cup serving, you are providing your body with about 16% of it’s daily fiber needs! Fiber is essential for digestive health and may be preventative to certain diseases such as colorectal cancer.
Health Benefits of Cucumber
Cucumbers are water-dense, containing approximately 95% water! The antioxidants found in cucumbers, such as flavonoids and tannins, may lower oxidation and fight free radicals, which is important for reducing the risk of disease.
Cucumber Christmas Trees
- 1 Christmas Tree cookie cutter
- 1 Star cookie cutter
- 3 slices bread
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1 cucumber
- 3 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper
- Using the Christmas tree cookie cutter, cut out 3 tree shapes from bread. You'll cut out one tree from each slice of bread. Save the extra bread to make croutons, or simply enjoy as is!
- Thinly slice cucumber and then cut each slice in half. I add approximately 4 cucumber halves to each tree. You'll also need 3 cucumber slices cut into the shape of a triangle to place on top of the tree.
- Dice the red bell pepper, these will be ornaments.
- Using the star cookie cutter cut out 3 yellow bell pepper stars.
- Spread hummus on bread trees, layer cucumber halves to make branches, add a dollop of hummus on one side of each bell pepper star and add star on the top of the trees and then decorate with red bell pepper ornaments. Serve and enjoy right away!
Kid-Friendly Kitchen Tools
We love and use these knives!
Fun With Food colorful plates, see here!
Where To Watch Fun With Food
Watch more episodes of Fun With Food here!
You can can also follow along for more food fun on Instagram here @funwithfoodkids.
What Is Fun With Food?
Fun With Food is an Educational Cooking Show for Kids. In each episode, we make a recipe or go on a food adventure while learning about letters, numbers, colors, shapes, nutrition, feelings and more. Fun with Food is created and hosted by Megan Roosevelt, a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and mom of 2.