“Are you kidding me? Is this for real? Didn’t you buy this 2 days ago?”
Yes, yes I did buy that half gallon of ice cream 2 days ago. And yes it’s almost gone. And no I don’t eat it so I didn’t notice it was almost gone. But yes this is what happens when 2 grown boys/ men are stuck inside. They eat.
It’s only been just about 2 weeks of shelter in place self-quarantine, but time seems to have taken on another dimension. Slower? But warped? It feels like a holiday break except there’s no big family dinners. Just the 4 of us. All close together. All the time.
So as of yesterday, I decided I needed some behavior adjustments and made 5 commitments to myself:
- Hygiene. Did I really have to make a rule for this? Apparently. Skipping showers and wearing pajamas longer than appropriate needs to end.
- Self care. Yes, this is a category different from hygiene. It’s exercise, meditation, not overeating or drinking. 5 days a week may be more realistic than every day.
- Work boundaries. Be more intentional about turning it off. It’s easy to overwork as a form of coping.
- Fellowship. Family, friends, online connections. Reach out daily to a few. We started a Sunday family Zoom meeting. It’s highly entertaining 🤣
- Creative endeavors. Coloring, writing, cooking, blogging. Catching up on reading blogs I follow and trying recipes!
Yes, these rules seem kinda basic, but it’s clear that I need better routines to adjust to the current situation.
I have been making at least one new recipe a week. A roasted carrot farro fennel salad. Green curry zoodles with roasted shiitakes. Hummus this week…I will never buy it again! I have plenty of time to make it 😁
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- Juice of a lemon
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Puree chickpeas in food processor until smooth. Add garlic, tahini, salt and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Add water and olive oil. Allow to set for 30 minutes.
Eat it before the boys find it. Hide it behind the tofu.