This easy taco dip is basically adjacent to what my sister-in-law calls “love dip.” So, to me, this is the kind of dip to make for a backyard BBQ or throw together just before getting on a boat for a day at the lake.
Taco dip is made of three basic ingredients (cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning), but then gets dressed up with any and all toppings you might put on a taco.
You can keep it simple, or you can get fancy. I’ll share some tips and variations for both. This taco dip recipe is also the kind of thing Elsie and I call “Pinterest mom food” because it’s simple (basic?) but 100% a crowd-pleaser.
It’s exactly the kind of thing you’d find on the table at a family birthday party at my grandma’s house growing up, right next to the Rotel cheese dip in the crock pot.
Related: Looking for more delicious dip recipes? Check out our Appetizers archive.
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Taco seasoning – buy a packet or make your own
- Cheese – cheddar or pepper jack
- Black olives
How to Make Taco Dip
Prepare the topping ingredients by shredding the cheese (if it isn’t already), chopping up the tomatoes, olives, and shredding the lettuce.
In a mixing bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning. If you are using any other seasonings, add them now as well.
Spread this mixture into a pie pan or 8×8 square baking dish. Other serving dishes can work too, but the amount this recipe makes fit well in these sized dishes, so keep that in mind.
Top with the cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and any other ingredients you may be using. Serve chilled with chips.
Taco dip can be saved in the refrigerator, covered, for a day or two. But the lettuce will begin to wilt and the mixture of ingredients can get mushy, so this dip is best served the day it is made.
Additions & Substitutions
- Sometimes I will add more spices beyond taco seasoning to the cream cheese/sour cream base of this dip. Ideas include: cayenne, hot sauce, adobo pepper and sauce, or lime juice.
- If you want to make a lighter version, you can use reduced fat cream cheese (or non- dairy cream cheese) and Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Sometimes I will add or change some of the toppings for this dip. Ideas include: different kinds of cheeses (crumbly cotija, or a smoky cheddar, etc.), sliced jalapeño, black beans, Mexican rice, avocado, or even some cooked and seasoned ground beef.
More Dip Recipes:
- Creamy Black Bean Dip
- Spicy Red Pepper Dip
- Spicy Skillet Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Cilantro Hummus
- Spicy Avocado Hummus
- Corn Dip – so addictive and delicious!
- Smoked Salmon Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ½ head lettuce
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 4 ounces black olives canned sliced or chopped
- Prepare the topping ingredients by shredding the cheese (if it isn’t already), chopping up the tomatoes, olives, and shredding the lettuce. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning. If you are using any other seasonings, add them now as well.
- Spread this mixture into the serving dish.
- Top with the cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and any other ingredients you may be using.
- Serve chilled with chips.