1) Roasting whole sweet potatoes with skin intact over charcoal can be a delicious and effective way to cook them because charcoal imparts a smoky flavor that complements the natural sweetness of the potatoes. Additionally, roasting helps to caramelize the exterior of the sweet potatoes, creating a crispy, browned surface while keeping the inside soft and fluffy.
To roast sweet potatoes over charcoal, you will need a charcoal grill and some good quality charcoal briquettes. Light the briquettes and let them burn until they are covered in white ash and have reached a temperature of around 350-375 degrees Fahrenheit.
While the charcoal is heating, prepare the sweet potatoes by washing and drying them.
Once the charcoal is ready, place the sweet potatoes on the grill grates. Cook them for about 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are tender. Keep an eye on them and adjust the heat if necessary.
When they are finished, remove them from the grill and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. You could serve them as side dish, or top them with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar, or even some herbs like cilantro, parsley, and even paired with a protein source like grilled chicken or fish.
It's important to keep in mind that cooking times will vary depending on the size and thickness of the sweet potatoes, as well as the temperature of the charcoal, so it's a good idea to check them frequently while they're grilling.
2) Another variation cut them into wedges or slices if desired. Then, season the sweet potatoes with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper or any other desired seasonings. Once the charcoal is ready, place the sweet potatoes on the grill grates. Cook them and turning occasionally, until they are tender and golden brown on the outside.
RELATED HEALTHY RECIPES:
3) Third variation is roasting sweet potatoes over charcoal is using foil packets. This method is a great option for those who want to cook sweet potatoes in a more controlled environment, as well as for camping or tailgating.
Another advantage of using this method is that you can add other ingredients such as vegetables, or diced meats in the foil packet, this way you'll have a full meal ready, this way you can have a foil packet of sweet potatoes with vegetables, or sweet potatoes with chicken, which will have a great combination of flavors and perfect for a backyard BBQ.
Roasting sweet potatoes over charcoal can be a delicious and convenient way to prepare them, adding a smoky flavor that complements the natural sweetness of the potatoes. It's a simple and easy way to enjoy sweet potatoes in a variety of ways by adding different seasonings and ingredients. It can be a perfect addition to any outdoor event.
Why roasting is the healthiest way to cook sweet potatoes?
1) Roasting sweet potatoes is considered one of the healthiest ways to cook them because it requires no oil and preserves the most nutrients.
Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, and dietary fiber. When sweet potatoes are cooked by boiling, microwaving or steaming, a significant amount of the vitamins and minerals can leach out into the water. Roasting, on the other hand, cooks the sweet potatoes dry, preserving most of the nutrients inside.
RELATED SWEET RECIPES:
3) Another advantage of roasting is that it brings out the natural sweetness and flavor of sweet potatoes, making them delicious to eat without adding any additional sugars or sweeteners, which makes them a healthier option.
Roasting sweet potatoes over charcoal adds a smoky flavor that can enhance the taste of sweet potatoes, but it's important to keep in mind that it may also introduce some potentially harmful compounds such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) if the charcoal isn't fully lit. However, this can be mitigated by letting the charcoal burn to ash before cooking.
As long as you watch the charcoal and let it burn to ash before cooking, roasting is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy this nutrient-dense sweet potato.