Baby spinach and basil dip
This is one of those make as you feel it recipes, add whatever takes your fancy. This is a favourite in our house and whenever we go to parties and BBQs I’m always asked if I can bring a bowl (or two). You can make this completely vegan if you use silken tofu, Toffuti is a great one to use, but I am finding it harder and harder to get my hands on it, so I use lactose free cream cheese, of course you could use normal cream cheese too.
- 1 tub of (lactose free) cream cheese – 250g
- 2 good handfuls of washed baby spinach
- 2 small strips of sun dried tomatoes (or capsicum is good too)
- tablespoon of fresh basil paste
- tablespoon of mayonnaise
- a drizzle of lemon juice
- (optional) clove of garlic
- cracked black pepper to taste
- (optional) sweet chilli and lime juice instead of the basil paste and lemon juice
- place cream cheese and spinach in blender and give a ‘whiz’ through until blended.
- add basil paste and tomatoes, lemon juice and garlic and ‘whiz’ again
- taste with a small spoon and add pepper to taste.
- scoop into a serving bowl, this can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge or served immediately
- Hummus chips, crisp bread or even flatbread if perfect for dipping
- Fresh cut vegetables like carrot, broccoli and celery are great too
- Serve with fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of virgin olive oil
- Perfect served on a timber board with antipasto and fresh bread dipped in olive oil
- Cheesy flatbread stick and a squeeze of lime
Would you like to learn more about capturing images like this? Check out ‘Table and Plate’ food photography online class