With just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of time, you’ll be able to make your own Everything But The Bagel Seasoning to use on everything!
5-MINUTE SEASONING MIX
If you’re an avid fan of the Everything Bagel, you know that the seasoning mix gives this New York staple its signature flavor. If you like to know everything that is going into your seasoning mixes and want to be able to adjust to your own personal preferences. This is probably one of my own favorite seasonings because I am an Everything Bagel fanatic! In fact, you may have everything you need to make this in your pantry right now! This really is a great all purpose seasoning to have on hand when that meal you are making needs just a little something extra!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Everything but the bagel seasoning is a combination of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic and onion flakes. This seasoning blend is a great way to add a delicious garlicky-oniony flavor to just about anything.
Please see my notes under the ingredient listing below. You really need the dried flakes here or it will mess up the texture and flavor that you want in this seasoning.
No. Don’t trade out the sea or kosher salt for table salt. It’s not the same texture nor will it yield the same flavor. Kosher salt doesn’t taste as salty as table salt so it’s best to go with kosher salt here.
Sometimes it can be tricky to find these. Start by looking in the Asian food aisle at your grocery store. You may also find a combination of black and white sesame seeds, called “tuxedo sesame seeds”. If you want to use them, use 3 Tablesoons of the combination instead of each separate amount of the black and white.
Yes! This is a fantastic idea! Everything but the bagel seasoning goes amazing on my deviled egg recipe, it really takes them to a whole new level.
The options to use this on are truly endless! Here are some of my favorite ideas:
– Add it on top of bagels with cream cheese or biscuits by brushing or sprinkling the bagel surface lightly with water and then sprinkling the seasoning over the bagel.
– Add it to season some butter or cream cheese.
– Sprinkle on top of eggs. This mix goes great on hard-boiled, deviled, fried and even scrambled eggs.
– Use it as a breading or seasoning mix for chicken, roasts, or fish.
– Sprinkle on top of avocado toast.
– Sprinkle on popcorn.
– Use on top of plain hummus or a Greek layer dip.
– Add it to salads or coleslaw for texture and flavor
– Use it as flavoring for salads and coleslaws.
– Add to your favorite french fries or seasoned potatoes.
You’re Everything But The Bagel Seasoning should be stored in an airtight container and should be kept in a cool, dry, dark place for up to 6 months. I like to keep it in a little mason jar with a lid.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- poppy seeds – I love poppy seeds in this mixture and it is what is in the original seasoning recipe but I don’t think it is absolutely necessary for taste. It makes for really good texture and adds a very light background flavor.
- white and black sesame seeds – refer to my FAQ above about these. Sometimes you can find them already mixed together.
- dried minced onion – this is different from onion powder. Dried minced onion are little flakes of onion. You might see it called onion flakes as well. Do not substitute for onion powder, it won’t give the same exact flavor or texture.
- dried minced garlic – you don’t want garlic powder. It may just say “minced garlic” instead of dried minced garlic but you will find it where all the other seasonings are located in your grocery store. I am linking some example products so you can see what to look for. Do not substitute for onion powder since it won’t give the same flavor and texture.
- coarse kosher or sea salt – please only use either kosher or seas salt here. Do not substitute for table salt. You will end up with a very salty mixture and the texture will be off.
HOW TO MAKE EVERYTHING BUT THE BAGEL SEASONING
Add all ingredients into a small bowl. Stir to combine.
Enjoy in various recipes.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Homemade Beau Monde Seasoning
Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 Tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher or sea salt
- Add all ingredients into a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Please refer to my FAQ’s and ingredient list above for other substitutions or for the answers to the most common questions.
- Table salt is not the right kind of salt for texture or taste.
- If you’re having trouble getting black sesame seeds, check the Asian aisle in your grocery store or look for “tuxedo seeds” (which is a mix of black and white sesame seeds) and use 3 Tablespoons of the mix instead.
- This makes for a great gift for a foodie in your life. Make some, add it to a jar, attach a cute ribbon and label – so nice!
- Store in a lidded container in a cool, dry, dark place for up 6 months.